Tuesday 20 January 2009

Week 8


The water

As you can see i decided to change the water for my final image. The methods i used to create the water were the same as those which i used to previously.

I started with a simple plane to which i added a noise modifier. This time around i didn't raise the settings as high so that the deeps and peeks in the water were further apart.

With the properties of the noise modifier now set i felt the the plane still looked to be too rough. To compensate this i added a mesh smooth modifier. This appears to make the pool look a lot calmer.


With this second attempt at creating the water i also experimented more with materials. In the material editor window i chose to play around with the Raytrace parameters to achieve a reflection in the water.

This screen shot shows the parameters, options and colours which i selected to create the custom material.

At first when i applied these settings i was worried that they had not worked. After some time i realised that in order to get a decent reflection i needed to add an image in the background.

I wanted a reflection of clouds in the pool so that is what i searched for. I felt that the background image shown in the final scene was the best image for the composition.

Compared to my first attempt, the water in the final image looks alot more realistic. I think that if you spend that little bit of extra time on producing aspects of your work the outcome can be alot better, and that is what i did.


1 comment:

Michael - 0701586 said...

Hi Jon,

I like your updated version of the swimming pool, the way you got the reflection in the water is good. I tried a similar technique in the image I produced for January. With the reflection the image appears more real, good job!

Cheers, Mike